Purpose and Mission
Our purpose is to promote and develop cooperative library services in Douglas County
in response to the needs of the residents of Douglas County.
The mission of the Douglas Community Library Association is to provide collaborative services
for Douglas County libraries in order to promote their sustainability and their capacity to
offer the greatest possible benefits to their communities.
- To provide member libraries in Douglas County an Integrated Library System
(ILS) (Apollo) to facilitate a search for and reservation of the materials in the
collective catalog of all member libraries.
- Increase inter-library communication.
- Facilitate inter-library collaboration on programs and projects.
- Improve and/or expand services offered by libraries to their communities.
- Broaden and deepen community support for libraries.
- Increase financial support for the DCLA and its libraries.
2. Promote the acceptance of common policies and procedures
- Common lending periods
- Standard overdue fines
- Other matters that would benefit from common agreement
3.Independent libraries will control:
- Establishing days and hours of library operations.
- Determining which library programs or materials to offer its patrons.
- Setting any library staffing requirements.
- The management and development of materials held by all the libraries (the total “collection”).
Collection management entails a review of popularity, relevancy, merit, and form & content in
order to serve the greatest number of patrons in Douglas County.